Whenever your chirpsing some girl and ask them what music they’re into, if they turn around and say ‘a bit of everything’, you know you can tell that bitch to kick rocks because they are fucking dull.* This is ‘a bit of everything’. One song per artist (not including guest spots), and if you love lists as unhealthily as me, you can find the 2009 roundup on Dirty Sexy Music.
50. Giggs – Hustle On
49. M.I.A. – XXXO
48. Matt & Kim – Cameras
47. Snoop Dogg feat Kid Cudi – That Tree
46. The Letter P – Brother
45. Hoodie Allen – Words Of Wisdom
44. Laura Marling – Rambling Man
43. Adrian Lux – Teenage Crime
42. Robyn – Dancehall Queen (Diplo Remix)
41. Gorillaz feat Lou Reed – Some Kind Of Nature
40. Two Door Cinema Club – I Can Talk
39. Chew Lips – Play Together
38. Kleerup feat Lykke Li – Until We Bleed
37. Damian Marley & Nas – As We Enter
36. Lightspeed Champion – Romart
35. The Joy Formidable – Whirring
34. Delphic – Doubt (Riton Remix)
33. Johnny Flynn – Kentucky Pill
32. Taio Cruz – Dynamite
31. Foals – Spanish Sahara (Mount Kimbie Remix)
30. JJ feat Lil’ Wayne – My Way
29. Crystal Fighters – Champion Sound
28. Katy Perry- California Girls (Passion Pit Remix)
27. Die Antwoord – Evil Boy
26. Nicki Minaj feat Eminem – Roman’s Revenge
25. The Roots feats Joanna Newsom – Right On
24. Best Coast – Crazy For You
23. T.I. feat Eminem – All She Wrote
22. Caribou – Odessa
21. Javelin – Vibrationz
20. Kid Cudi feat Kanye West – Erase Me
19. Hot Chip – I Feel Better
18. Tokyo Police Club – Favorite Food
17. B.O.B. feat Hayley Williams – Airplanes
16. Big Boi feat Andre 300 & Sleepy Brown – Lookin’ 4 Ya
15. Rihanna feat Drake – What’s My Name
14. Crystal Castles feat Robert Smith – Not In Love
13. Frightened Rabbit – Swim Until You Can’t See Land
12. Kings Of Leon – Pickup Truck
11. Chris Brown – Deuces (Remix)
10. Egyptian Hip Hop – Rad Pitt
I would never have heard this if it wasn’t for the Georgia May Jagger by Hedi Slimane video, so all I associate it with, is the most beautiful girl in the world walking around topless in some shiny skinnies. It’s a slice of 2006 indie pop, pushed by the NME as relevant in 2010, but it’s actually really good so enjoy the nostalgia and the video.
09. Kanye West – Blame Game
Hard to choose which Kanye song to have, but then decided that any song which features the line “Yeezy reupholstered my pussy” in response to Chris Rock asking, has to be pretty special.
08. Kele – Everything You Wanted (RAC Remix)
Better than the original as is the case with most of the collective’s remixes, Kele’s beautiful song takes a lighter mood in this version and the chorus is even more fun to attempt.
07. Jason Derulo – Ridin’ Solo
Listened to more as a self help song than a chart topper.
06. Star Slinger – May I Walk With You?
Sampling ‘Life Without Buildings’, this has to be one of the most beautiful songs of the year. I can’t put my finger on what makes this such a great track, but the haunting, regretful vocals, looped over an old school beat really work, and Star Slinger should be pretty big in 2011.
05. Gyptian – Hold Yuh (Toddla T Remix)
Holding a special place in my heart as being the song to define me and my flatmate’s triumphant return to Brighton, Gyptian get’s the Toddla treatment, and the remix seems a huge departure away from the original, but whining that chorus and whining some gal do go hand in hand on the dancefloor. It’s frickin’ awesome.
04. LCD Soundsystem – Dance Yrself Clean
Using the same formula and same themes as the much acclaimed ‘All My Friends’, James Murphy talks about how ‘friends are mean’ in a 4 minute build up to an amazing drop which shows you don’t have to go over the top to achieve a sound that’s going to make people dance (themselves clean).
03. Arcade Fire – Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
A nostalgic tale of sitting under swings and kissing in the dark, this departure from Arcade Fire’s known sound and the use of Regine’s wonderful voice makes for a track which is instant and stands out on an outstanding album.
02. Cut Copy – Take Me Over
This only surfaced a couple of weeks ago, but I don’t think it’s because it’s fresh in my mind that I believe it to be worthy of the number two spot. It sounds like Fleetwood Mac and it sounds like the most perfect use of synths there has ever been.
01. Darwin Deez – Bed Space
Catchy, beautiful and underproduced, it’s the rawness which is part of the charm. It’s one of those songs which you can never sing loud enough, and cn never quite express your love for, apart from ranking it #1 on an end of year list.
*I have never actually told a ‘bitch’ to kick rocks.
I am currently snowed in just listening to Salem on repeat and this has had two effects on me. First off, it’s made me regret shaving my head because his bomber jacket, gym shorts and long hair look is possibly the best look of 2010. See it HERE. As long as this look stays relevant for the next three years I may just be able to achieve it. Secondly, it’s making me doubt my end of year song choices because I think ‘Trapdoor’ may easily have gone in the top ten if I had heard it sooner. So, I think it only apt that I just quickly add some ‘honorable mentions’ which in other words is a bunch of songs which made it onto everyone’s lists but I never bothered to listen to until last week.
- Salem – Trapdoor
- Tyler, The Creator – French
- Four Tet – Plastic People
- Yeasayer – Madder Red
- The National – Bloodbuzz Ohio
- Gil Heron Scott – New York Is Killing Me (Jamie xx Remix)
- Tapes n’ Tapes – Freak Out